Andi in L.A. L.A. Land

I packed all of my belongings in the trunk of my compact car, said goodbye to my home town in Texas, and headed out to the west coast in order to pursue the life I was called to live in Los Angeles! I have created this blog in order to keep my concerned family and friends back home informed about my life. I plan to elaborate about my experiences to the ones I love back home by sharing about all of the opportunities, adventures, struggles, and joys I encounter here in "The City of Angels!"

Saturday, January 1, 2011

Auld Lang Syne

   I don't know if this a feeling experienced by a lot of people, but new years just always seems so anti-climatic to me. There's that moment when you are shouting the count down with every one around you, following along with a watch, clock, or the ball dropping on MTV. It always pumps you up and makes you antsy, like you are about to come in contact with a rock star or something. Once the clock strikes midnight though, everyone goes ballistic and starts cheering, blowing noise makers, kissing, etc. You'd think we had just won a war when really all that has happened was a time change. I wish we could have a celebration like this for every time change, like daylight savings. That would be fun, and not really out of the ordinary since Americans tend to make up holidays just for poops and giggles anyways. After all the shouting and the hoopla-ing is done though, there is a moment where there isn't much to do. Typically, you might take some pictures for Facebook evidence that shows you celebrated and it was rad, sit down and finish your drink, or just gaze around the room awkwardly until someone starts asking everyone about their new years resolutions. I tend to be the person that asks about new years resolutions, not going to lie. In the midst of the lull, everyone looks as if they are kissing the past goodbye, lost deep in thought, and probably pondering how they are going to be different this coming year. Truthfully, I kind of mourned the ending of 2010. So much has happened and changed in 2010 that it felt more like a decade than a year. In the midst of my thought process, I thought about the regrets I had in the year, the wrongs I did, the wrongs that were done to me, the challenges and struggles. I kind of got depressed there for a minute, and then I realized I was spoiling a perfect holiday moment for myself. I said a quick prayer, thanking God for Jesus and the forgiveness of sins, and also to help me let go of all the instances and moments in the past that I tend to dwell in/all of the worries and anxieties I have for the future (totes Matthew 6:34 moment). If New Years is good for anything, I would say it helps people take a good look at themselves. During that night, most people at least self-analyze for a second, looking for improvements, looking for lessons learned, looking for meaning and purpose. I am just fortunate and humbled to know that I can find improvement, learn lessons, have meaning and purpose through Jesus Christ. I'm letting go of all the blahness in the past year and now just recounting and enjoying the blessings that I have received. It's quite refreshing, and I thought I should share.

   I also thought it would be appropriate to have 11 resolutions this year on account of it's 2011, cheeky right? I was really excited to come up with them and share them on this blog, but regardless of my main excuse, I was honestly too lazy to really follow through with it. My main excuse for not sharing them though was that I kinda wanted to view it as I view fasting. I decided that my resolutions are something that I should keep to myself. If I were to tell everyone what I was doing (which I already shared one of them with a couple of friends, but that one doesn't count) I feel like I would only be keeping to my resolutions just to get a congratulations and pat on the back for accomplishing them by the next year. I will be blunt and say that was what I sought every time I told someone I couldn't drink sodas (besides sprite) in 2010 because I gave it up for new years resolution. I don't want it to be about that though, I am truly seeking self-improvement by making better habits and sticking to promises I have made to myself and to my community, friends, family, etc. I guess it will be more of a challenge because I don't have people keeping me accountable, but that's okay, I always dig a challenge. I hope by next year, I will be able to look back and see that I did a decent job sticking to them.

   I spent the New Years at the Lynch House with my dear friends Kayla, Herndy, and Kellie. Though it was (as kayla calls it) Dramatic Friday, the holiday still turned out to be quaint and sweet. I would honestly rather spend New Years with a few people I am close with than at a huge celebration or party with a bunch of people I don't know well or at all. The sparkling cider exploded in the fridge, which made for some excitement, and we also rushed 30 seconds before the ball dropped to get our glasses filled to toast to a new year. We did a lot of impressions from the SNL sketch "Surprise Party" and properly documented it by taking pictures behind the sofa. Kayla and I wrapped up the night by watching Pirate Radio, which brought great memories of us driving all the way out to Jackson just to see it in theaters when it came out. Before I went to sleep, I picked up kayla's copy of my favorite book, To Kill a Mocking Bird, and read the first chapter. I thought it might be a cool tradition to read a chapter of it every new years. So, chapter 2 is my assigned reading for 2012, and 3 for 2013, and 4 for 2014, etc. I will probably read the whole book in between the new years, but it will still be something fun and quirky I can do to celebrate.

   Today, my family is packing up the ornaments and taking down the decorations. It's probably one of the worst feelings I experience during the holiday season. It flew by so freakin' fast, and it really bums me out that I won't see the tree lit up in all its splendor until next Christmas. Ugh. I hated packing away all of my frog, Irish, and angel ornaments (the three main subjects of my ornament collection). I am also not looking forward to packing for my flight back to L.A. on Monday. It feels like I just got home yesterday, and though I am excited to get back to California, I will definitely miss the heck out of my friends and family. I start another class on the 4th, and start my job on 5th, so things are going to get busy again, and I am really delighted about it. I seem to function much better and am healthier when I have a lot on my plate. Bring it on 2011, Bring. It. ON.

1 Peter 2:16
 Live like this in 2011!

Psalm 65:11
And stole this one from a @HerndyPants tweet :)

And this --->


The New Year  - Death Cab For Cutie
Listen Here

3 comments:

  1. Andi! I had no idea you had a blog, but I love hearing about your life, so I'll def be adding you to my blogroll! So excited to see where LA takes you, girl.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alex- I nanny!

    Kelso- I want to follow yours, but I don't know how? Thank you :) I love your posts on your blog, I look forward to reading all of them!

    ReplyDelete